Companies are required by law to file certain documents at Companies House. These include the annual accounts, annual return and notices of appointment or resignation of directors and secretaries.
A company must maintain registers of directors, secretaries and members (shareholders) as well as a number of other registers. Some of these must be available for public inspection.
Decisions made at board and shareholder meetings should be documented correctly. Whilst this is often omitted it can be a costly oversight. For example, if HMRC query the date a dividend was approved it is useful to be able to produce a board minute agreeing it. In the unfortunate event of a disagreement within the company it is best if previous decisions are recorded.
Smith Pearman can provide a full company secretarial service, leaving you free to get on with business. This can include:
- Use of our address as the company’s registered office
- Preparation and filing of annual returns
- Preparation and filing of other returns
- Maintaining registers of members, directors, etc
- Drafting board and shareholder’s meeting minutes and resolutions
- Review of the company’s memorandum and articles